Mits annual scholarship
Opens Sept. 16
at 08:00 hrs. pst
Closes Oct. 16
at 17:00 hrs. pst
About the event
MITS recognizes that today’s students will be the driving force to continue the growth and recognition of the medical interpreting profession in the years to come. And to contribute to that endeavor, we are pleased to announce our 2019 Scholarship.
With these awards, we want to inspire and encourage interpreters to become nationally certified by facilitating the 40 hours of training required to apply for certification.
MITS will award four (4) full scholarships in the form of free tuition to cover the entire cost of the 40-hour Fundamental Program. No monies will be awarded, the selected recipients will receive:
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient one).
- One online 40-hour course for Spanish interpreters (recipient two).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient three).
- One online 40-hour course from our non-language specific program for interpreters of all languages. (recipient four).
Each tuition-free scholarship includes the core Fundamental 40-hour course and all bonus courses available as of this year, a total value of $1,160.
- Application cycle opens on Monday, September 16, 2019 at 8:00 am (Pacific Time)
- Deadline for all completed applications: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 5 pm (Pacific Time)
- Scholarship selected recipients will be notified on October 30, 2019
- Public announcement on November 6, 2019
- High school diploma in the U.S. or any other country.
- Must speak English and another language at a very advanced level.
- Interested in getting certified by the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or the National Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI).
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be a new student. Those who have already enrolled in a MITS 40-hour program are not eligible. The award cannot be used retroactively. (See FAQs for exceptions and more details).
- High school or college diploma. Transcripts are also accepted. (Translation of non-english documents is required)
- One letter of recommendation from a professor, teacher, supervisor or co-worker. Recommendations from relatives will not be accepted.
- An English essay of 500-700 words that answers the following three (3) questions:
- Why is the applicant interested in taking this course?
- What does the applicant wish to accomplish in his/her career?
- Why does the applicant deserve the scholarship?
Application Submission Process
The scholarship application below, including all other requirements, should be emailed to email@example.com in PDF format in one email only. The application must be received no later than Wednesday, October 16, 2019 (17:00 hrs. PT). A MITS representative will confirm that your application has been received; however, we will not request missing documentation or additional information. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The MITS scholarship is a merit-based competitive award. MITS team will evaluate all eligible applications and select the winners based on the criteria below:
- Recommendations – 25%
- Answers in the application – 25%
- Essay – 50%
2018 Scholarship Recipients
I am beyond honored and humbled to have been selected as the recipient for the 2018 MITS interpreter education scholarship. I sincerely appreciate your time and consideration throughout the process. I am excited for what is coming ahead because this opportunity has allowed me to take a step further into the professionally certified interpreting world.
Thank you so much for this great opportunity. I am thrilled to start this new journey. This would be almost impossible to do without this scholarship. I am looking forward to becoming a certified Spanish interpreter.
I want thank you [MITS] for your generous gift. I'm humbled by your decision. When I received your e-mail I felt so blessed. The scholarship will give me an opportunity to continue my education, improve my skills as an interpreter in order to better assist people in the Medical Care Field. I don’t have enough words to express the gratitude I feel for receiving the tuition –free scholarship. I’m excited and looking forward to your further instructions to do the course program.
Being selected as a MITS scholarship recipient has been an honor. The program is demanding, extensive, very complete, and quite organized to help you acquire the basic knowledge you need in the medical interpretation field. For those who want to have a more thorough experience about what this career entails, this is the program! If you are dedicated and your ultimate goal is to become a medical interpreter, I urge you to apply!
Frequently Asked Questions
You will have access to the course for 6 months to complete the 40-hour course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The minimum number of days to complete the 40-hour training course is 6 days (eight hours per day + one day). Due to the intensity of the content, MITS will not issue a certificate sooner than 6 days after registration.
If you purchase the 40-hour course between Sep. 16 and Oct. 16, 2019, you can apply. However, please note that, if selected, you will receive a full refund, and the time access to the course will be limited to six months only, not 12 months as the regular purchased courses.